Share This Article
Call for Writers} ?> Do you want to write for us?
Area of Effect magazine, published by Geekdom House since 2015, offers faith-based opinion and commentary on geek culture and topics like addiction, violence, abuse, mental health, identity, community, and more. The purpose of the magazine is to inspire people to think deeply about the themes and issues that are present in video games, sci-fi and fantasy stories, anime, and comics, and to encourage a dialogue between people of different backgrounds and beliefs.
We’re looking for a few new writers who are excited about combining their faith, morality, philosophy, social justice, and more with their geeky interests. As geeks we tend to (over) analyze the fandoms we love and our goal for Area of Effect is to take those same conversations we have with our friends, dig a little deeper, and publish them.
- a willingness to put beliefs, ideas, and biases on the table for discussion
- professional writing experience—your work has been previously published at least three times in print or online
- an understanding of Area of Effect‘s writing style and content
- a commitment to a Christian faith (we do not require any specific denomination but look for an affirmation of the basics: a forgiveness of sins through the death of Christ, centrality of the word of God, and the Triune nature of God)
- a commitment to write at least one 700-1000 word article every other month (1001 words is too many and 1005 is RIGHT OUT)
- specialization in a geeky subjects we haven’t covered much is an asset (we’re especially looking for more video game writers!)
- creativity and sense of humour
- ability to write thoughtful, intelligent articles
- preference given to those who’ve beaten Undertale‘s pacifist run
What contributing writers get:
- to become a part of a community of passionate, geeky folks who love writing about their fandoms
- opportunities to grow with writers and professional editors
- 25 CAD for articles published
- to give their editor cookies as bribery… er… we mean as thanks…
How to apply
If you are interested in writing for Area of Effect, email email@example.com with the subject line “AoE Writer App.” Include some introductory information about yourself, your experience, your areas of fandom, and links or attachments to three published writing samples. If you’d like, include a pitch or two for an article you’d like to write as well. Applications are accepted until September 3, 2018.