Share This Article
Call for Writers} ?>
Do you want to write for Area of Effect magazine?
We’re looking for writers who are excited about combining their faith, morality, philosophy, social justice, and more with their geeky interests. As geeks we tend to (over) analyze these shows that we love and our goal for Area of Effect is to take those same conversations we have all had, dig a little deeper, and publish it.
What we are looking for in prospective writers:
- a willingness to put beliefs, ideas, and biases on the table for discussion (i.e. vulnerability is a must)
- writing experience
- an understanding that this is not a devotional site, nor is it news or reviews
- an understanding that this isn’t a magazine by Christians for Christians, but by Christians for anyone. Meaning we don’t come at topics from a “we” perspective, but write from personal experience and attempt to encourage discussion among a variety of people
- a commitment to a Christian faith (yes, this is a loaded statement – we do not require any specific denomination but look for an affirmation of the basics: a forgiveness of sins through the death of Christ, centrality of the word of God, and the Triune nature of God)
- a commitment to write at least one 700-1000 word article every other month (1001 is too many and 1005 is RIGHT OUT)
- specializations in geeky subjects that we haven’t covered so far
- creativity and thoughtfulness
- a mixture of funny, playful, and serious articles
- preference given to those who can hum any version of The Legend of Zelda theme song
What staff writers get:
- to become a part of a community of passionate, geeky folks who love writing about their fandoms
- opportunities to grow with writers and professional editors
- $25 for first article and $50 for every subsequent article (we believe in paying artists for the work that they do, writers are artists and deserve to be paid for their work)
- to give their editor cookies as bribery… er… I mean as thanks…
How to apply
If you are interested in writing for Area of Effect, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “AoE Writer App.” Include some introductory information about yourself, your experience, and your areas of fandom, as well as three writing samples.