Share This Article
Call for Writers} ?>
Do you want to write for Area of Effect magazine?
We’re looking for a couple new writers who are excited about combining their faith, morality, philosophy, social justice, and more with their geeky interests. As geeks we tend to (over) analyze these shows that we love and our goal for Area of Effect is to take those same conversations we have all had, dig a little deeper, and publish it.
What we are looking for in prospective writers:
- a willingness to put beliefs, ideas, and biases on the table for discussion (i.e. vulnerability is a must)
- professional writing experience—your work has been previously published at least three times in print or online
- an understanding of Area of Effect‘s writing style and content
- a commitment to a Christian faith (we do not require any specific denomination but look for an affirmation of the basics: a forgiveness of sins through the death of Christ, centrality of the word of God, and the Triune nature of God)
- a commitment to write at least one 700-1000 word article every other month (1001 words is too many and 1005 is RIGHT OUT)
- specialization in a geeky subjects we haven’t covered much is an asset
- creativity and sense of humour
- ability to write thoughtful, intelligent articles
- preference given to those who can hum any version of The Legend of Zelda theme song
What staff writers get:
- to become a part of a community of passionate, geeky folks who love writing about their fandoms
- opportunities to grow with writers and professional editors
- 25 CAD for first article and 50 CAD for every subsequent article
- to give their editor cookies as bribery… er… we mean as thanks…
How to apply
If you are interested in writing for Area of Effect, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “AoE Writer App.” Include some introductory information about yourself, your experience, your areas of fandom, and links or attachments to three published writing samples. Applications are accepted until January 31, 2017.